Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Responding to Carol Goodey's Tag

I've been tagged in a blogging meme, what fun! Carol Goodey tagged me (and 10 others) and you can trace back through the links to see who else has been recently involved. The assignment:

1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4. List 11 bloggers.
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.

11 Random Facts about Me (in no particular order)

1. When I was a toddler, I lived in Hawaii.  During my first Easter egg hunt, I found a myna bird's nest and ate one of the eggs.  It spoiled my pretty dress and marked the beginning of a lifelong interest in birds (not eating them, watching them).

2. I was a radio DJ for many years, first in college, then in commercial radio (briefly, and not all that thrilled about the experience), then back as a community volunteer at a college station.  You know, the kind of station with no commercials and the DJs get to play almost anything they want to.  Our slogan: "WMUH: The only station that matters."

3. I'm secretly left-handed.

4. I like to golf.  No skill or talent, but still like to get out on a public course with 1-3 friends for a few hours in pursuit of dimpled orb.

5. I can't sing either (you're not alone, Carol!) but I really wish I could.  I recently dreamed that I belted out a favorite song perfectly.  Felt good!

6. Long ago, my office mates nicknamed me K-Rex cuz you don't want to get between me and my lunch, especially if it involves fried things and a savory dip. ROAR!

7. By the time I entered high school, I had lived in 10 homes and attended 9 schools. Hmm, it's no wonder I'm in favor of autonomous learning!

8. Two of my students (young men from Iran and China) were really impressed when they heard what kind of car I drive (a 20th anniversary edition VW GTI).  I didn't know it was something to get excited about, but it is pretty snappy!

9.
From the Design Automation Conference (DAC), like, a dozen years ago ...
10. The secret to over 30 years of married life is: two bathrooms.

11. If you happen to attend my funeral, I don't care what else you do but please make sure they play Dave Grisman's "Svingin' with Svend".  And dance!

Answers to 11 Questions from Carol

1. What do you most enjoy about blogging?

I love shaking out my ELT experience "on paper".  Sometimes it's not worth posting in public, but it's helpful to write out anyway.  I kept a knitting blog for a couple of years before I started blogging here.  Same thing: documenting my experience learning to knit.

2. Do you play a musical instrument? If not, would you like to? Which one?

I had classical guitar lessons for 5-6 years.  I've forgotten most of that.  My dream would be to play the bass in a funk or funk-jazz group.

3. How far do you travel to work? How do you travel?

It's about 18 miles to my Mon.-Wed. class.  Unfortunately, I must use a car for that.  It's about a dozen miles to my Tues.-Thurs. class.  I get to use commuter rail and subway for that trip.  I prefer mass transit when that's an option.

4. What do you enjoy most about the work that you do?

I get a thrill when learners turn to each other eagerly and are bursting to talk to each other in English.  I also love when a learner self-corrects, when two learners disagree or don't understand each other and work it out between themselves using English, when a learner tells me of a success outside of class ("I watched a movie and understood a lot of it!").  Stuff like that.

5.  What was the first thing you ate today?

Oatmeal with milk and raisins. 

6. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? Why?

I'd love to go back to a German-speaking country to revive and practice German. But my favorite place in the world is the Olympic Peninsula (Pacific Northwest).  I have to go with the second choice ... and you can catch German-speakers hiking there in the summer anyway!

7. What month next year are you most looking forward to? Why?

Probably late April.  Hubby and I usually take a break and get away when tax season is finished (he's a CPA).

8. What meal do you prepare most often for friends?

Vegetarian chili from "American Wholefoods Cuisine" (Goldbeck).  Even the most die-hard meat-eaters have raved about it and asked for the recipe.  It's vegan until you sprinkle on some aged smoked cheddar (which I always do).  Just served it two nights ago to a storm-stranded relative!

9. What was the last movie you saw? What did you think?

"The Fantastic Mr. Fox".  Quirky.  Was fun to watch a second time and look for little missed details.

10. What three things do you like to have with you when working?  Many different colored markers (plus board), index cards and scissors, CamScanner app on my iPhone. 

11. What do YOU think about reality TV shows?

I honestly don't watch them.  I could do with more of raising my eyes from iPad or iPhone to watch reality reality, actually!

11 Bloggers
(I read these and many more, tried to list at least a few who've not already been tagged!)

11 Questions for Other Bloggers

1. What is one book, blog post, article, presentation, or research paper that really changed how you think about teaching?  How?

2. Which season of the year do you like the best?  Why?

3. How many languages (other than English) can you use at high beginning or higher?  If any, what are they?

4. The bartender says "What'll it be?"  What is it?

5. What is the most recent musical performance you have attended?

6. Which age group do you like teaching best: youngsters, teens, adults?

7. Have you ever been the recipient of a surprise party or gift?  How did that go?

8. What's one time where you really had to think on your feet during a lesson?

9. Tell about a pet -- past, present or future.

10. Have you ever been on TV?

11. Hot sauce: yes or no?

I hope to learn more about bloggers I read and to learn about more bloggers to add to my list!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you responded, Kathy. Thank you! It's really interesting to find out more about you. That vegetarian chili sounds ideal. I must see if I can find the recipe. I can identify completely with what you write in response to question 4. And, let's not pair up at a karaoke, if we ever get the chance to meet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if we pair up at karaoke we can overwhelm them with enthusiasm,heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've responded: http://bit.ly/1hqu4wB
    L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy

    Thanks so much for nominating me. I have just replied to your questions here - http://tinyurl.com/qjyxjpq - I really enjoyed doing this challenge, as it prompted me to write my first blog post in ages, so that's great! I also enjoyed finding out more about you by reading your your lovely post here :-)

    ReplyDelete